Saturday 20 October 2012

AG #69 Dark Mayhem

So, I've not blogged for three months. I've got so many things to say; some I can tell you about, others you'll just have to wait and see. 

One of the things I can talk about is my Star Anise Stout, Dark Mayhem. Aside from the star anise and the T-58 yeast used to ferment it, the recipe is pretty straight forward with the bulk of the grist made up of pale malt but with brown, crystal, melanoidin, flaked barley, flaked oats as well as roasted barley, crystal and chocolate malts 

I've been using motueka hops for bittering as I came across a large (cheap) stash of them but the main flavour will come from 4 flowers of star anise popped in the boil 15 minutes from the end Anyway, here are some pictures 

75g of Motueka hops for bittering
A gentle trickle of black lovliness from the mash tun
oops - perhaps I only needed one sachet of yeast



No comments:

Post a Comment